1 whole turkey (about 12 pounds), thawed if frozen, rinsed, and patted dry (neck and giblets chopped into 2-inch pieces; liver discarded)
2 medium carrots, roughly chopped
2 celery stalks, roughly chopped
1 large yellow onion, roughly chopped
Nonstick 41 Olive Tuscan Herb Olive Oil with Misto Spray Bottle
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
Coarse salt and ground pepper
2/3 cup 41 Olive 18 Year Aged Balsamic Vinegar
1/2 cup packed dark-brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest, plus 2 tablespoons orange juice
- Let turkey sit at room temperature 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees, with racks in upper and lower thirds.
- Place neck, giblets, carrots, celery, and onion in a heavy-bottomed metal roasting pan. Set a roasting rack over vegetables and coat with 41 Olive Tuscan Herb Olive Oil.
- Tuck wing tips underneath body of turkey. Tie legs together with kitchen twine. Rub turkey all over with 2 tablespoons butter; season with salt and pepper.
- Place turkey on rack in pan; roast on bottom oven rack until golden brown, 30 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees.
- Add 2 cups water to pan; roast until an instant-read thermometer inserted in thickest part of a thigh reads 125 degrees, about 1 hour. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring 41 Olive 18 Year Aged Balsamic Vinegar, brown sugar, and orange juice to a slight boil over high, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until mixture is syrupy, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in 2 tablespoons butter and orange zest. When thermometer reads 125 degrees, brush turkey with glaze.
- Rotate pan and roast, brushing turkey with remaining glaze every 15 minutes, until thermometer inserted in the thickest part of a thigh reads 165 degrees, 30 to 45 minutes (tent turkey with foil if browning too quickly). Transfer turkey to a platter. Loosely tent with foil and let rest 30 minutes before carving.