Artishokes Alla Romana
- 4 artichokes
- 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup 41 Olive Arbequina Extra Virgin Olive Oil (click here to shop)
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 springs thyme
- 4 mint leaves, chopped
- A pinch hot pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt, more as needed
- 1/4 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- Vegetable stock, about 2 cups
- Have ready a bowl filled with cold water and squeeze the juice of half a lemon into it.
- Cut the artichoke about 1/3 of the way from the bottom. Rub cut surface with the other lemon half.
- Peel back and snap the leaves around the base of the artichoke without cutting off the stem.
- Peel the outer layer of skin off the stem but keep the stem intact.
- Rub all cut surfaces with the lemon and drops into the lemon water bowl.
- Repeat with remaining artichokes.
- Place the oil and garlic and the lemons halves in a pot large enough to hold the four artichokes.
- Heat the oil and when it is warm add the artichokes, cut side down, then add the stock so it comes to about 2/3 of the way up the sides of the artichokes but not up to the stem.
- Add thyme, mint, pepper flakes, salt and parsley.
- Bring to a gentle boil, lower heat to a steady simmer and cover the pot.
- Cook until the artichokes are cooked through. you can insert a knife into them to see if they are done.
- When they are ready remove the artichokes to a plate.
- Raise the heat a little under the pot and reduce the liquid to a light sauce consistency.
- Tags: Appetizer
- Neil Naran