Kale chips have become a popular snack for health-conscious individuals, but they can be a bit bland and unexciting. If you're looking for a way to add more flavor to your kale chips, try using infused olive oil! Infused olive oil is a great way to add a burst of flavor and depth to your snacks, and it's incredibly easy to make at home.
In this article, we'll explore how you can use infused olive oil with your kale chips to create a delicious and healthy snack.
Choosing the Right Olive Oil
Before we get into the details of making infused olive oil, it's important to choose the right olive oil. Look for high-quality extra-virgin olive oil that has a robust flavor. You don't want an olive oil that is too mild, as it won't add much flavor to your kale chips. You also want to make sure that the olive oil is fresh, as old olive oil can go rancid and spoil the flavor of your infused oil.
Making Infused Olive Oil
To make infused olive oil, you'll need some herbs or spices to infuse the oil. You can use any herbs or spices you like, but some popular choices include garlic, rosemary, thyme, basil, and chili flakes. Here's a simple recipe to get you started:
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3-4 sprigs of fresh herbs (or 1-2 tablespoons of dried herbs)
- 1-2 garlic cloves (optional)
- Pour the olive oil into a small saucepan and add the herbs and garlic (if using).
- Heat the oil over medium heat until it reaches a temperature of around 180°F.
- Remove the pan from the heat and let it cool to room temperature.
- Strain the oil through a fine-mesh sieve or cheesecloth to remove the herbs and garlic.
- Transfer the infused oil to a clean glass jar with a tight-fitting lid.
Using Infused Olive Oil with Kale Chips
Now that you have your infused olive oil, it's time to make some kale chips! Here's a simple recipe to get you started:
- 1 bunch of kale, washed and dried
- 2-3 tablespoons of infused olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Remove the kale leaves from the stems and tear them into bite-sized pieces.
- Place the kale in a large bowl and add the infused olive oil. Toss to coat the kale evenly.
- Spread the kale out in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Sprinkle the kale with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until the kale is crispy and lightly browned.
- Serve immediately.
Infused olive oil is a simple and delicious way to add flavor to your snacks, and it works particularly well with kale chips. With just a few simple ingredients, you can create a healthy and flavorful snack that you'll love. Experiment with different herbs and spices to find your favorite flavor combinations, and enjoy the benefits of infused olive oil in your cooking.