If you're a fan of lasagna but don't have the time or patience to make a traditional baked version, then skillet lasagna is the perfect solution for you. This one-pan wonder delivers all the delicious flavors of lasagna in a fraction of the time. In this blog post, we will share a mouthwatering recipe for skillet lasagna, enhanced with the rich flavors of infused olive oil.
By incorporating this simple yet impactful ingredient, you can take your skillet lasagna to the next level of flavor and make it a standout dish on your dining table.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can crushed tomatoes (28 ounces)
- 1 can tomato sauce (8 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 lasagna noodles, broken into pieces
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons infused olive oil (such as garlic or herb-infused)
- In a large skillet or deep sauté pan, cook the ground beef over medium heat until browned. Drain any excess fat.
- Add the chopped onion and minced garlic to the skillet and cook until the onion is translucent.
- Stir in the crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, dried basil, dried oregano, salt, and pepper. Bring the mixture to a simmer and let it cook for about 5 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld together.
- Add the broken lasagna noodles to the skillet, ensuring they are fully submerged in the sauce. Cover the skillet and cook for approximately 15 minutes, or until the noodles are tender.
- In a separate bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, shredded mozzarella cheese, and grated Parmesan cheese.
- Once the noodles are cooked, dollop spoonfuls of the cheese mixture over the top of the skillet. Cover the skillet again and let it cook for an additional 5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Drizzle the infused olive oil over the skillet lasagna just before serving. The aromatic flavors of the infused oil will add an extra dimension of taste and fragrance to the dish.
- Serve the skillet lasagna hot, garnished with fresh basil leaves or additional grated Parmesan cheese, if desired.
New Ideas and Tips:
- Experiment with different infused olive oil flavors to suit your taste preferences. Try options like chili-infused olive oil for a spicy kick or lemon-infused olive oil for a citrusy twist.
- For a vegetarian version, replace the ground beef with a plant-based ground meat substitute or mix in some sautéed vegetables like mushrooms, zucchini, or bell peppers.
- To make the skillet lasagna more nutritious, consider adding a layer of fresh spinach or kale between the sauce and cheese mixture. This adds a pop of color and additional vitamins to the dish.
- For a gluten-free option, use gluten-free lasagna noodles or substitute with zucchini or eggplant slices for a low-carb alternative.
- Leftover skillet lasagna can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days. It reheats well in the microwave or oven, making it a convenient meal option for busy weekdays.