Learn How To Make Extra Virgin Olive Oil Lemon Cake
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus additional for greasing pan
- 1 large lemon
- 1 cup cake flour (not self-rising)
- 5 large eggs, separated, reserving 1 white for another use (eggs should be room temperature)
- 3/4 cup plus 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- First, position the oven rack in the middle position and preheat oven to 350°F. Next, gently grease a 9-inch pan with some Olive Oil, then line bottom with a round of parchment paper. Oil parchment to be exact.
- Now you need to finely grate enough lemon zest to measure 1 1/2 teaspoons and whisk together with flour. Halve lemon, then squeeze and reserve 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice.
- Beat together yolks and 1/2 cup sugar in a big bowl, preferably with an electric mixer at high speed until thick and pale, on average about 3 minutes. Lower speed to medium and add Olive Oil (3/4 cup) and reserved lemon juice, beating until just combined (mixture may appear separated). Using a wooden spoon, stir in flour mixture (do not beat) until just combined.
- Beat egg whites (from 4 eggs) with 1/2 teaspoon salt in another similar large bowl with cleaned beaters at medium-high speed until foamy, then add 1/4 cup sugar in small increments, beating, and constantly continue to beat until egg whites just hold soft peaks, about 3 minutes.
- Moderately fold one third of whites into yolk mixture to lighten, then fold in remaining whites gently but thoroughly.
- Transfer batter to pan and gently rap against work surface once or twice to release any air bubbles. Sprinkle top evenly with remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar. Bake until puffed and golden and a wooden pick or skewer inserted in middle of the cake comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Cool down the lemon cake in pan on a rack for about 10 minutes, then run a thin knife around edge of pan and remove side of pan. Cool down cake to room temperature, about 1 1/4 hours. Finally, remove bottom of pan and peel off parchment, then transfer cake to a serving plate. Enjoy this ideally delicious dessert.
- Alexis Barros